An innocent-looking and inexpensive plumbing device has caused over 30,000 insurance claims over a twelve month period! The device is called a flexi hose, a flexible pipe commonly installed in modern homes and used to replace standard copper pipe in older homes. They are used to connect wall outlets to taps, sinks, basins and tubs.
These flexi hoses can fail, and may cause thousands of dollars worth of damage to your home, especially if you are away on holidays! click on the Read More link below to find out more . . .
There are many reasons why a flexi hose may burst -
- The age of the water hose: Most brands have a limited lifespan of between five to ten years
- Incorrect installation: Over tightening, over stretching or loosening can cause the hose to fail
- Deterioration: Hoses can deteriorate from a lack of maintenance which causes rusting, fraying and kinking that can cause the hose to burst
While flexi hoses remain the preferred installation for plumbing jobs in Australia, here are a few tips to keep your home safe from flooding or water damage...
- Flexi hoses have a limited lifespan so check them visually for rust or fraying every year
- Have new flexi hoses installed by a licensed plumber only and ask your plumber to check them every few years
- Turn off the water mains when you’re going away for periods of time